|Breaking All Illusions|
|A Dramatic Turn of Events|
|Release date||13th September 2011|
|Lyrics||John Myung, John Petrucci|
|First live performance|
|Total live plays|
|Recorded||Cove City Sound Studios|
|Other appearances||Live at Luna Park|
|Previous song||Far from Heaven|
|Next song||Beneath the Surface|
Breaking All Illusions is the eighth and longest track on Dream Theater's eleventh album, A Dramatic Turn of Events – a spiralling progressive rock odyssey, with long instrumental passages.
This is the first song John Myung has written the lyrics for in 12 years, his last contribution before this having been Fatal Tragedy, on Scenes from a Memory. Although John Petrucci and former drummer Mike Portnoy have always rewritten John Myung's lyrics to better fit the songs, this is the first time that Myung's co-writer has been credited in the liner notes.
John Petrucci recorded this song using a 6-string guitar in standard tuning (E-A-D-G-B-E).
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
With the sun in place There's a test of faith Streams of thought awaken New realities Singularities Breaking all illusions Sudden burst of heat Burning source of life Masterful destruction Power's not an act It's understanding truth Changing my direction Live in the moment Breathe in a new beginning Wisdom revealed As I unlearn to learn Life's biggest battles Often are fought alone My spirit brings me home Emerald thoughts flow through my consciousness Drawn to curses left behind Test of will the threshold to one's faith Starts a fire in the mind Searching out Reaching in To arrive Where I began Sights remembered In the light Searching out Reaching in To arrive Where I began Sounds remembered Come alive Embrace the days Don't turn away Life's true intent needs patience Karma starts the signal
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Breaking All Illusions' lyrics are the first to be co-written in 6 years, since the title track to Octavarium in 2005.
- The lyrics are also first to receive a dual authorship credit since You Not Me in 1997. Other such multiple authorships include Caught in a Web, Take the Time, and Status Seeker.
- The structure of the song is extremely similar to Learning to Live from Images and Words. However the post chorus of Learning to Live's equivalent in Breaking All Illusions is before the chorus.
- The keyboard main riff is very similar as found in "Dancing Stars on Me", by μ's.
- (By dual authorship, we mean the entire body of lyrics was collaborated on, as opposed to an anthology format whereby individual authors are credited for separate sections, like Octavarium and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.)