The Images, Words and Beyond Tour was a worldwide tour by Dream Theater, celebrating the 25th anniversary of Images and Words. The tour began January 30, 2017 in Rome, Italy and concluded December 2, 2017 in Dallas, Texas. Unlike the previous tour, Dream Theater did not tour South America.
Each show was split into two acts, and an encore. The typical setlist for each show was as follows:
- The Dark Eternal Night
- The Bigger Picture
- Hell's Kitchen (with an interlude of "Another Dimension" by Liquid Tension Experiment)
- The Gift Of Music
- John Myung Bass Solo (Jaco Pastorius' "Portrait of Tracy" cover)
- As I Am (with an excerpt of "Enter Sandman" by Metallica)
- Breaking All Illusions
Act II: Images and Words
- Pull Me Under
- Another Day
- Take the Time
- Metropolis—Part I: "The Miracle and the Sleeper" (with Mike Mangini drum solo)
- Under a Glass Moon
- Wait for Sleep
- Learning to Live
- I. "The Crimson Sunrise"
- II. "Innocence"
- III. "Carpe Diem"
- IV. "The Darkest of Winters"
- V. "Another World"
- VI. "The Inevitable Summer"
- VII. "The Crimson Sunset"
- The entire Images and Words album (except Wait For Sleep) and A Change of Seasons were tuned down a half step to put less strain on James Labrie's voice.
- The backing vocals for the whole show on the entire tour were entirely played back from recording, rather than John Petrucci singing them himself.
- This tour is considered to be one of Labrie's worst performances to date, garnering negative response from many of the fanbase and further aggravating Labrie's already spotty reputation in live performances, with some fans (who were very fond of Labrie) suddenly renouncing him.